Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It snowed...

So I made verde sauce.

I've been wanting to make anything at all using tomatillos ever since I first saw them in the produce section. Intriguing little green, paper-covered tomato looking things. And finally, as I was walking around Whole Foods -I honestly don't shop there often, it was just the closest store at the time- looking for fajita supplies, I saw them and decided now was the time, so I looked up "tomatillo recipes" on my personal telecommunication device and bought a handful ($4.99/lb at whole foods).


This is the recipe I found on allrecipe.com for "salsa de tomatillo" from user SABRINATEE:

10 tomatillos, husked
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 jalapeños, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

I halved this and also added a pretty good squirt of lime juice because, well, why not. Though the tomatillos end up giving the sauce most of its sour flavor anyway.

The cooking part is super easy; boil te tomatillos about 10-15 minutes until they just start to burst, then throw everything in the blender and blend until it's the consistency you want, hen taste and season as you like. Just for fun I sautéed he jalapeño a bit before I cut it up to see if I couldn't give it a smoky flavor. I can't really tell if it worked. Anyway, the stuff tastes pretty alright, but not as good as the stuff at Muchas Gracias. I look forward to tweaking it more in the future.


[UPDATE: this sauce combined with some Worcestershire sauce, more lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to make marinade for the best GD fajita steak I've ever tasted.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment